[ale] facebook hacked?

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Mon Dec 20 09:34:24 EST 2010

Of course some folks missed what was said by us "old farts".   This
particular old fart DOES use Facebook and like others has found many old
friends and been found by many that way.   I didn't say Facebook has no
value.

However, what I DID say was that I haven't seen anything on Facebook in
the couple of years of using it that I felt was important to know
IMMEDIATELY (including those cute photos of grandchildren etc... - they
may be important to you but not so important you feel you need to drop
everything to see them RIGHT NOW).

Also as alluded to by an earlier poster some of what appears on Facebook
really shouldn't be there.   At best it is private and at worst it is
fodder for criminals and creeps:

"Hey all we'll be out of town next week - stop on by and rob us!"

"I'm a thirteen year old girl - here are my super secret photos of me
without a bra - don't tell anyone!"

By the way Facebook DOES allow for messaging and guess what - you can
have it sent to your email so if someone does have something they want
you to see "now" they can send it as a message and usually do.   (Of
course most young people don't even do that - they send text messages
because going to Facebook isn't any faster than going to email and
usually is slower.)

My own observation about the popularity of text messaging by the young
isn't that it is quick but rather that they can and do carry on multiple
"conversations" at the same time all the while doing something else
(usually web surfing to Facebook or other favorite sites).    There's
been many a phone call I've been on where it would have been much nicer
in text because

1)       I could have been doing other things while they were going on
and on about things I didn't care about.

2)       I could simply not respond to the last text and end the
"conversation" without having to improvise some excuse.   (Oh my God!
The dog is on fire!  I have to go.)