[ale] USB on Ubuntu server

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 17:49:51 EST 2010

I have two headless Ubuntu servers at my home - a 32 bit machine that I'm
retiring and a 64 bit machine that I am moving to.  One of the chief uses of
the server is to play music through a wireless transmitter that is a USB
sound card.

This configuration has worked well for years.  The other day I noticed that
MPD was no longer working, and the log file stated that the sound card could
not be found.  I figured this meant it was time to move off the old machine
and onto the new one, but when I plug the sound card into the new machine
and run lsusb I see 8 usb hubs but no sound card.  When I plug the same
sound card into my Ubuntu 64 bit desktop it is immediately recognized.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to troubleshoot this?  Is it
possible that something changed in the server version of the kernel that
might have affected usb?

Thank you,

Josh Kite