[ale] VirtualBox

Jim Butler jimbutler1234567890 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 18:36:02 EST 2010

Hi Everyone..
I am trying to virtualize some servers, and I decided to use VirtualBox to
do it instead of VMWare. My problem is this: I got everything all set up the
way I wanted it, and installed three different virtual machines. Everything
was working fine until this morning when I went to use the networking.
Networking is set to NAT, and it worked fine before. Now, all of my virtual
machines still work fine, but when I try to ping the host IP from the
virtual machine, it is unable to reach the ip on the host. On the icon bar
at the bottom of the virtual machine window, it shows network activity, and
everything looks normal from within the virtual machine it's self.
Furthermore, I can ping outside of my host box from within a host shell..
(that is, on the host (not the virtual machine) if I try to ping
yahoo.comit works fine).. It's just a problem either with the way that
the virtual
machine is sending the packets, or with the way that the host machine
recieves (or doesn't recieve) the NATted packets.
If someone can help me with this, I would sure be appreciative.

Thanks in advance,
Jim Butler