[ale] Why does Chrome Netbooks look like Macs?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Dec 14 00:53:18 EST 2010

On 12/13/2010 08:16 PM, Mike Harrison wrote:

> What I really want to know is, how useful is a "chrome netbook"
> with a slow or no internet connection? I'm in a -very- nice
> hotel in Charlotte, with a bursty 'net connection. Would I be cussing?

Yes.

> Can I install Firefox (Chrome is broken on some sites I need)?

No.

> Can I buy one

You can't buy one. Google is giving them away. Eventually, many
manufacturers might sell netbooks running Chrome OS. I don't think
google plans to sell any itself.

> and install a real OS: Straight Linux?

You can install a different OS.

> The Chrome sales video show a guy doing a simple image crop online,
> can I run Gimp or Inkscape and do real image work on the system?

No.

http://www.google.com/chromeos/pilot-program-cr48.html

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/cr-48-chrome-notebook-developer-information/how-to-boot-ubuntu-on-a-cr-48

--