[ale] Cups print server

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Mon Dec 13 10:26:54 EST 2010

Is there a way to configure cups so that all print jobs submitted on one
host leave that host and queue up on the print server cups instead?

Some time ago we configured a cups print server and are sending multiple
other hosts' print jobs to it.   However, we notice that those print
jobs actually queue up on the original host and only send 1 print job at
a time (that is to say 1 at a time from each host - if there are 4 hosts
printing we'll see 4 jobs queued on the print server).    This seems to
defeat the point in having a print server (i.e. send the spooled jobs
and workload to the print server rather than keeping them on the
original host).   If we have to wait for the print server's cups queue
to clear first job from a host before queuing up the next one from that
host it seems no better than sending directly to the printer from the
original host.

Jeff Lightner | UNIX/Linux Administrator | DS Waters of America, Inc |
5660 New Northside Drive, Ste 250 | Atlanta, GA 30328
*: (Direct Dial) 770-486-3516 |*: (Cell) 678-772-0018 |
*:jlightner at water.com