[ale] Free as in Freedom Linux servers needed

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Mon Dec 6 13:46:53 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 12:02 -0500, Jim Kinney wrote:
> It'll be quite interesting to see if those charges stand up in court
> given
> that  Assange did not acquire the data from a classified site but did
> take
> possession of it knowingly. Since investigative journalism often works
> using
> the exact same methodologies, the ramifications of this against press
> freedoms are considerable.

There would be ramifications if investigative journalism existed by any
measure today. Instead we have, "Lindsay Lohan back in rehab. Log onto
our Facebook page and tell us what you think."

>From Wikipedia article on Daniel Ellsberg:

The release of these papers was politically embarrassing to not only
those involved in the Johnson and Kennedy administrations but also the
incumbent Nixon administration. Nixon's Oval Office tape from June 14,
1972, shows H. R. Haldeman describing the situation to Nixon:

    [then cabinet-member Donald] Rumsfeld was making this point this
morning. To the ordinary guy, all this is a bunch of gobbledygook. But
out of the gobbledygook comes a very clear thing.... It shows that
people do things the president wants to do even though it's wrong, and
the president can be wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Ellsberg
(Yes, the same Rumsfeld who publicly dismissed claims in the press of
sectarian violence in Iraq in 2006. Wikileaks papers reveal that our
diplomats and troops were reporting the same thing.)

For those of you who came of age after punch cards and aren't familiar
with Ellsberg's name, you owe it to yourself to read the article. You'll
note that several newspapers and senators actually had a spine back
then.

- w