[ale] Free as in Freedom Linux servers needed

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 12:02:24 EST 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 7:55 PM, arxaaron <arxaaron at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It case any of the fans of the U.S. Constitution on the list
> > might dare to walk the walk for freedom and free speech:
> >
> > <http://www.wikileaks.nl/mass-mirror.html>
> >
> > peace
> > aaron
>
> Anyone in the US considering this might note that:
>
> - Julian Assange is possibly going to be charged with espionage by the
> USA (and others I believe)
>
> - Assisting him or wikileaks might be considered conspiracy to commit
> espionage

They'll have to go after the AP, Reuters, and others as they were apparently
involved in processing the data.

It'll be quite interesting to see if those charges stand up in court given
that  Assange did not acquire the data from a classified site but did take
possession of it knowingly. Since investigative journalism often works using
the exact same methodologies, the ramifications of this against press
freedoms are considerable.

> The Constitutional right to free speech is unlikely to work as an
> excuse if you are charged with conspiracy.  I don't think Assange
> would need to be convicted for a charge of conspiracy to be brought.
>
> I am just assuming there would be an appropriate federal conspiracy
> law for this.
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_%28crime%29#Conspiracy_in_the_United_States
>
> IANAL
> Greg

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.