[ale] LVM2 & VirtualBox Help.

Jack Schneider puck at dp-indexing.com
Sat Dec 4 15:02:46 EST 2010

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 13:02:34 -0500
Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Jack Schneider <puck at dp-indexing.com>
> wrote: ...
> > Ed, Here's where the above comes from.  NOTE: Rather than clutter
> > the thread.   Sent to  http://paste.debian.net/101493/
> >
> > I'll look into doing what you suggested... THX.
>
> The text at that URL talks about using raw disks directly from VMs
> without going through the host filesystem, but I wasn't talking about
> that, and I was talking about using a filesystem mounted somewhere
> to store the files for the virtual disks, which isn't raw disk access.
>
> But raw disk access seems really inconvenient for anything but
> the most static or the most automated system configurations.  Maybe
> you don't need to arrange for the VMs to directly use block devices
> themselves?  It probably doesn't buy you much measurable performance
> compared to the trouble.

Hi, Ed
That's worth some thought..  Can you say more about "the trouble"?  My
thinking was that it, RDA, kind of isolates the guests from my dubbing
around on the host, and the flexibility to adjust the sizes/structure
of guests as needed and reuse the disk space flexibly.. Hell! I may
even try Win7....8-) NO WAY, Jose!  Thanks!

Jack