[ale] Boot issues

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 11:04:39 EST 2010

when you get the OS screen where you need to enter stuff, quickly unplug and
replug the USB keyboard. I have a RHEL5 system that looses the keyboard half
the time due to a kernel buglet in the usb activation process at bootup.
That notification from the hardware seems to tell the kernel "HEY! I HAVE A
KEYBOARD HERE!" and it works fine from that point on.

Same machine with F1[34] does not do that.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Scott Castaline <skotchman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm now leaning towards hardware being the culprit with my boot with USB
> keyboard. I thought I had finally resolved it with setting USB to Legacy
> and disabling ACPI 2.0 Support in the BIOS, as it booted fine for a few
> days. I did one day have to reboot to get it to boot. Today it took me a
> half hour to get it to boot. I had even tried an old PS/2 keyboard which
> gave me the same results. I then switched back to my USB and went into
> the BIOS going through everything to see if something had changed as was
> the case one time before. When I exited with a save the system powered
> down and then about 10 seconds later powered back up itself and booted
> fine.
>
> As a reminder my problem was that the BIOS reports seeing an USB
> keyboard and USB mouse. The BIOS then goes to a countdown to boot OS (to
> allow time to enter ASUS Express i guess) which I hit ESC to skip which
> does work then I had changed the grub.conf to not hide the menu and 15
> sec delay which that sees the Enter response from the keyboard and goes
> on. It's when it asks for my passphrase to unlock my devices that I
> loose the keyboard. I usually hit the ESC key when I see the screen
> backlight shut off and my lighted keyboard turns off and just when it
> lights up again, this will switch the boot screen from graphic to text.
> If it comes up to the GUI passphrase box my keyboard is dead. I also
> can't get it to powerdown at shutdown.
>
> So basically I'm just putting my feelers out for other opinions before I
> start with exchanging the MoBo or RMA'ing it to ASUS. Also if
> MicroCenter will exchange it, what's your opinion whether I should stay
> with ASUS or change to another Mfg. MoBo.

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.