[ale] Truly remote desktop aka terminal services client/server in Linux, Does it exist ?

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Aug 30 16:02:58 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 15:39 -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> What is implied but left unsaid  is you can have it either way.  You can
> use x11vnc to act just like remote desktop on windows, i. e.
> view/interact with the same display as on the console, or you can use
> straight vnc to give you a new display independent of the console.  In
> either case, you can reconnect at a later time and continue what you
> were doing, assuming nothing changes in the meantime.

What was really cool but is probably no more was Doublevision.  It is
now Tridia and they handle the commercial part of VNC.

DV allowed me to take control of a tty.  I could SSH into an RS/6000 and
use DV to take control of a terminal on a desk.  Start a process and
disconnect.  Connect later and check on progress.