[ale] disk i/o at 1,000 MB / sec, woohoo!

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Wed Aug 25 14:29:58 EDT 2010

I'm sure we probably do but like many maids I don't do Windows (except
on the company provided laptop) so luckily wouldn't have to deal with
them.

The systems in question weren't accessible from the outside (but then
again security experts will tell you that internal hacking is a big
problem).   Also they were in disuse for some time but getting folks to
let us actually decommission is like pulling teeth.   We often hear the
mating cry of the pack rat around here.  (That mating cry being: "I
might need that someday".)   Actually these RH systems weren't the
oldest - we still had a couple of HP-UX 10.20 systems we got rid of at
the same time - what is really bad is those WERE in active use up until
July of last year - their first boots were somewhere in the 90s.