[ale] Canonical discontinues Itanium and SPARC support in Ubuntu

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 13:46:27 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us>wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 10:00 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > kind of sad, yet not really. Both chips are dead except for really
> > esoteric things (SPARC still used in a game box?). RedHat dropped it
> > with Fedora at F13. RHEL 6 will not support either as well (I think).
> >
> > The really sad part is the number of system still out there that are
> > now destined for the trash heap because of no more software support.
> > SGI sold a small crapton of Itanium gear designed for Linux. The code
> > is still in the kernel so it will be around for a while longer.
>
> Well, at least it's possible to maintain stuff by oneself, or "port"
> things like Debian and Ubuntu to such platforms unofficially and try to
> keep them up-to-date.  If I had any need to use either or these two
> architectures, I'd probably set up a local repository and try to keep it
> up.

The openSUSE build service (OBS) is seeing more architectures pop up.

It was just Intel and PPC I think.  But there are currently small teams
working on Arm, Mips, PArisc, and Sparc versions I believe.  For now only
the Intel version is available / supported.

(ie. Since the whole distro build process is publicly visible, interested
teams can do their own port relatively easily, but I don't think any of
those ports are done yet.)

OBS is only being used to package the openSUSE and MeeGo distros I believe
for now, so the benefit of the work is limited.

Greg