[ale] MS-SQL as slave/backup to MySQL

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 21:01:13 EDT 2010

My boss likes MS-SQL Server. So I have to learn to use it. The little
I have done with it tells me that this question is probably
impossible. For example, both MS-SQL Server and MySQL have "timestamp"
types. In MySQL it does exactly what you would expect -- store the
current time and date[1]. What did MS do? Make it totally useless.
>From [2]:

"The Transact-SQL timestamp data type is not the same as the timestamp
data type defined in the SQL-92 standard. The SQL-92 timestamp data
type is equivalent to the Transact-SQL datetime data type."

So, my recommendation to you is to Just Say No.

[1] -- http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/timestamp.html
[2] -- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa260631(SQL.80).aspx

--
James Sumners