[ale] Android Tablets

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 12:33:27 EDT 2010

As an owner of a number of high-mileage Volvos and a Chrysler Town & Country
van all with well over 100k miles, I've seen my share of Check Engine
lights. I have a computer device from Scan Tool as I recall that I paid ~
$100 for. It reads & resets a lot of the 96 up OBD II codes pretty well, and
can handle the newer CAN systems that Volvo started using with the '99 S80
as I recall. For "casual use" the cheapie units already mentioned should
work fine. You can get them even cheaper at Harbor Freight (a CAN version
for ~ $69, pre CAN versions for ~ $40, IIRC).
However, you can take your car to Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts and they
will scan the codes and print out the meaning for free. Generally, they
won't reset the code for you, or let you "borrow" the tool so you can do it
yourself. They MAY have engine scan tools in their "Loan-a-Tool" program,
where you basically pay retail for the tool, use it for a few days/weeks
then return the tool and get your $ back, but I'm not sure.
The Volvo check transmission light probably can't be read by these "engine"
scanners. However, I have a device made by BSR that can scan/reset ALL Volvo
codes for 2000 up. My guess would be either a solenoid or a lockup torque
converter error. Not much else to go wrong with the tranny that the computer
would see.

GC