[ale] Lists of LUGS & top messages - Re: OT I'm so jealous ; jre

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Sun Aug 22 20:34:54 EDT 2010

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 20:14:16 -0400, "William Bagwell" <rb211 at tds.net>
said:
> > I'm on about 10 USA LUG lists.  ALE is one of the most active.  :)
>
> Curious why you picked the other 9? I'm only on 2, ALE since it is the
> closest LUG to where I live, and Madison Wisconsin's Madlug since it is
> the home town of my ISP. Madlug posts kept turning up during a long ago
> search for something so I subscribed and have remained ever since.

When I began the Global Free SW HW & Culture group, (weekly global voice
meetings) 2 yrs ago, May 2008, I had to find a way to get the word out
about meetings.  So, I went to the lug list, & searched for about the 10
biggest US metro areas.

Besides ~13 North California lists,
BAD BALUG BayPython BUUG Conspire LUGOD NBLUG OLPC-SF PenLUG SacLUG
SFLUG SVLUG
 &
~ 8 California lists
LULA SFVLUG OCLUG SCLUG SDiegoKernelPanic UbuntuCal UCLAA-LUG UUASC

,  I'm on:

CO CLUE
GA ALE
HI Luau
IL ChicagoLinux
LA BRLUG
MA BLU
MD BaltoLUG
MI MDLUG
NC TriLUG
NY NYLUG
OR PLUG
TX ALG
VA NoVALUG
WA GSLUG

=
Actually, after I went through the ALE list messages for 2010, I thought
that the resultant read messages constitute a human filter of the list,
& as such it would be valuable if there was a way to pass the list of
messages on to others.  Then, other people could scan that
filtered/"highlights" list subset.

I can't think of an easy way to do it, but maybe someone will come up
with some sw for that someday.

Like Debian used to have the DebianWeeklyNews, highlights of messages. &
there's another one i'm forgetting.  Linux Kernel??

I thought I could take & post a screen shots of the resultant message
headders showing in Thunderbird.  Then, people could go search through
the web archived ALE list for the topic & date of messages they thought
were interesting.

Maybe I should at least send one screen shot to the ALE list.

Then we could all send our "top 10 lists" for each year in.

And the great cloud computer in the sky could compile them into
everyone's top 100.

;)

==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture