[ale] [OT] help wih old computer

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Sun Aug 22 10:46:12 EDT 2010

Igor --

Sorry to be slow in offering an answer...I'm behind in reading mail from
the group...as much as I'm washing my hands of M$ I can offer a free
resource that would help you.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
Free M$ bootdisks

If you don't already have a windows boot disk for 98 you should find one
here.  The CD requires drivers to operate so you'll have to do this with
the floppy.  I've used the free boot disks in the past and had
reasonable results.  If you want to modify memory allocation then you'll
be modifying the config.sys on the boot disk.  Long ago in a M$ life far
far away I used to do high-scans of memory to force certain files to
free space for certain DOS apps.  This should not be required if all you
want to do is get a basic x86 box running to a DOS prompt and run fdisk
to partition and then format command at prompt.  I've not used this
stuff in a very time but think the unconditional format switch was /u as
in "format c: /u".

You can search all over the web for command switches so will leave that
to you...here's a sample:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DOS_commands#format
DOS commands [format w/switches]

Once you have the box booted from the FDD you can confirm functionality
of the CD and install anything you want.  If your BIOS supports booting
from CD (I'm assuming it does) then you can put most ancient M$ product
into it you want.

A thought:  with as cheap as machines are these days why not go with a
bargain new box that will support most any distro on it?  Forget the
museum piece and M$ and opt for h/w that can actually do something other
than be a doorstop or paper weight?  Unless of course you can load more
memory into it (72-pin I'm guessing) and run Vyatta on it!  (hehehe)

Not trying to start a flame-fest...just trying to help!  : )

Cheers............Rich in Lilburn