[ale] Flash doesn't work on the daily show!

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 19:33:39 EDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 8:59 AM, dude-aaron-omy <aaron at pd.org> wrote:
> Ran into very similar situation on an Ubuntu 32 8.10 desktop last week,
> though Hulu was being the culprit trying to play back the Daily show
> from there.  Updated Firefox,  re installed latest Flash, but still
> problematic.
> It would show the page but the imbedded player screen would be missing.
>
> Went to ComedyCentral.com direct and the show played fine from there.
>
> Installed Chrome and Hulu worked again on that.
>
> I think there is something funky in the browser registry for the Flash
> version because various sites kept telling him to re-install the player.
>
> Don't know if that helps, but someone to empathize with anyway. :^P

I figured out my problem:  Both my wife and my kids had installed
flash themselves, probably by clicking the install flash button
sometime when flash got old.  Anyway, their installed versions were
old even though the latest was installed in the global installation.
I removed their installations and The Daily Show lives again.  :)

Use this command to see how many versions of flash are on your system:
locate libflashplayer | xargs md5sum

Michael