[ale] Why I run emacs

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Fri Aug 20 14:10:24 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
> Honestly, I would be *truly* happy if there were an editor like Emacs
> that was always in input mode (command mode in vi is evil, especially on
> low bandwidth, high latency links where you can't keep track of what
> fscking mode you're in), but was extended using Python instead of LISP.
> Seriously.

Hmm.

  http://common-lisp.net/project/python-on-lisp/

Maybe after "(require 'cl)" emacs can use python-on-lisp to
grant your wish.  Minimalists will react violently, though, if
they find out what you've done.  ;)

I thought lisp was a little odd, but there's good lisp support
in emacs of course, and there's emacs lisp documentation
that's helpful.  Breaking stuff up into little functions makes
programming easier, and then it's just a question of saying

(if (> 1 2)
    (message "1 > 2")
  (message "1 isn't > 2"))

... instead of