[ale] CentOS versions increase but package versions kept the same?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Aug 19 17:59:47 EDT 2010

On 08/19/2010 04:50 PM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> If that's not an issue for you, then the only thing left is to figure
> out if there is some sort of hold/pinning system.  I can't seem to find
> any information on that in the Fedora RPM Guide searching through it for
> the words "hold" or "pin"... it is possible that you need to look at
> whatever it is that sits on top of RPM, as that might not be
> functionality that the core package management utility has itself; as I
> understand it, implementations using RPM on modern systems actually have
> multiple levels of package management, with the actual RPM software
> being the lowest tier.  I don't know enough about the system as a whole
> to figure out how to do useful things with it...

The closest I know is
http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities

I use this to prefer packages my private repository over all other
repositories regardless of the package versions. This only works well if
you're repackaging things without many reverse dependencies.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts