[ale] Grub Boot Menu Splash Image in Ubuntu 10.04 Question

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Aug 19 14:56:59 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 13:07 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 12:38 -0400, wolf at wolfhalton.info wrote:
> > I notice that my grub boot menu splash screen is a picture of the
> > debian logo.  Is there a place to go to customize this graphic?
> There
> > is nothing wrong with it.  I just want to be able to know how to
> > change it.
>
> Check /etc/default/grub -- look for the "GRUB_BACKGROUND" line.

Oh, and another thing, you'll need to make sure that there is an
"insmod" line for the type of image format that is being used.  If the
image that you want to use is the same type as the existing one, all
should be fine.

After you update /etc/default/grub, don't forget to run the command to
update GRUB's static configuration file:

  $ sudo update-grub

So that the changes will take effect.

Note that you should update /etc/default/grub, and
not /boot/grub/grub.cfg directly, because every time a new kernel update
is pulled, APT will automatically run the update-grub command, which
means that if you make any changes in /boot/grub/grub.cfg, they will be
lost at the next kernel upgrade.

As an example, let's say that GRUB is setup for a 640x480 graphics mode
(e.g., "GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480" in /etc/default/grub), and you want to use
a PNG graphic located in /boot/splash.png.  At the end
of /etc/grub/default, you'll add the following lines (or if these lines
exist you'll modify them as needed for what you want):

  GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/splash.png"
  GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="png"

GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES is a space delimited variable, so if you want to
load multiple modules that are not loaded in the standard configuration,
you'll put them listed one by one, for example:

  GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="png mdraid lvm"

I don't have a complete list of what's loaded in the stock Ubuntu
configuration at the moment, so some of those may never be necessary.
At least in my case, I needed to create the variable with the png module
so that I could use a PNG boot splash.

	--- Mike