[ale] looking for a good C++ book for an experienced C programmer.

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 13:51:33 EDT 2010

Two books should be on every C++ programmer's desk:

The C++ Programming Language, 3rd Edition (Bjarne Stroustrup, Addison
Wesley, 1997)
Design and Evolution of C++ ( Bjarne Stroustrup, Addison Wesley, 1994)

I went from C to C++ in the late '90's, learning OO programming
through the process. The two books I found
most helpful were:

C++ The Core Language ( Doug Brown, Gregory Satir, O'Reilly Books, 1995)
Effective C++: Fifty Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Design
( Scott Meyers, Addison-Wesley, 1998)

If I were gonna do a lot of C++ today I'd probably add a book on the
STL.  OTOH, I did a pretty big C++ project a few months back and found
that the library I was using was specifically not compatible with STL,
although it had some substitute classes to use in its place.

-- CHS