[ale] xfce 4 and gentoo

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 18 10:12:35 EDT 2010

Does anyone on the list use gentoo and xfce4?
Over the weekend I switched from kde to xfce, everything went smoothly.
  There were some conflicts afterwards with libpng when I installed
eagle, but they all seemed to resolve properly following the on screen
instructions.  All this was done while inside xfce. Everything worked
and I shutdown normally.  The next day I log in via slim and nothing!
Just a black screen, no mouse, no nothing.  I've since uninstalled and
re-installed xfce hoping that it was a library conflict or something, no
dice.  I haven't been able to find anything on gentoo's forums, waiting
for approval on the xfce forum, general googling didn't produce anything
useful.  Generally with a problem like this you can simply look through
the logs to find something that might be wrong.  I can't find any log
files for xfce.  The problem seems to be around xfcedesktop, if I
replace the startxfce4 with say xfce4-panel in .xinitrc the panel does
indeed display, but still no mouse and no ability to do anything.  The
problem is not with x as startkde still brings up kde just fine, so I've
been using it temporarily.  I really like the simple elegance of xfce,
so I'm looking for any help to get it working again.  Thanks.