[ale] Photomanager

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 16:19:16 EDT 2010

On 08/17/2010 03:58 PM, Mike Harrison wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, William Fragakis wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a decent photomanager?
>>
>> F-spot crashes on just about anything.
>
> I just tried Shotwell on my home system,
> dumped 60k+ photos into it without crashing.
> In a few days of use it seems to work well.
> I'm trying to create some 'Events' and put things
> into them appropriately.
>
> apt-get install shotwell

I had forgotten to mention the web site is:
http://www.yorba.org/shotwell/ and it is on Fedora's Repo

> Been nice for browsing photo's by date,
> wish it had some things, but I'm not sure what.. yet.
> I'm used to manually moving images around directory by directory
> and using some old perl scripts for varius functions.

I see I'm not the only one that does it that way. I have all my photo
files in subdirs by year/month/day on the day taken. Unfortunately some
of my earlier filers were created from film based cameras and done at
time of film developing copied to CD. I had a whole s**t load of film
that I had forgotten about and had developed all at one time. Try to
remember when and where those were taken, oye vye.

> Warning: It uncovered (made more accessible) a lot of old photo's that
> Wife 3.0 is now chiding me about regarding Wife 2.0 and the
> various "short term beta versions" between Wife 2.0 and 3.0..
> She's got a great sense of humor about such things though...
> at my expense.

One area that I don't have experience with although came close a couple
of times.