[ale] how do I boot a Virtualbox vm from a USB HDD

Tim Watts tim at cliftonfarm.org
Tue Aug 17 15:34:49 EDT 2010

Haven't actually tried this with a flash drive but I would start by
looking here:

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#id2685036

You can boot from a partition. I've done this successfully to boot my XP
image from /dev/sda2. I would imagine a similar thing can be done with a
flash drive (which on my system appears as /dev/sdb).

I had to tweak the boot sector used by the VMDK so it would use an MBR
from the original XP install instead of Grub. But maybe that's
because /dev/sda is also the same drive as my main Linux image...

You need at least version 3.2. The version in the 10.04 repository is
3.1. Get it from the virtualbox site.