[ale] Photomanager

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 15:33:04 EDT 2010

On 08/17/2010 01:35 PM, William Fragakis wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a decent photomanager?
>
> F-spot crashes on just about anything.
>
> Gthumb won't even launch - X window errors.
>
> Running F13, Gnome, gdm, compiz enabled.
>
> Any assistance to my not having to grit my teeth so much would be
> appreciated
>

> wf

You may want to check out Shotwell. I have version 0.6 on Fedora 13. I
had just started to look it over, looks like a more advance viewer than
either F-spot or Gthumb. It also has a little more advanced editing
features than some other light weight packages. From what I could see
about 1/3 to 1/2 way to Gimp without of course the necessary
complexities that Gimp offers. I haven't gotten into it very deep yet,
I'm trying to find out if it messes with the metadata in it's cataloging
or maintain an external file for that. Some other software that I had
tried in the past did just that and my files grew in size and had weird
characteristics when trying to use them in another app. Fortunately I
had backup copies of all my photos. I could be wrong but I think it was
Digi-Kam or something like that many moons ago.