[ale] Losing Ubuntu

Joshua jrtroberts at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 00:23:16 EDT 2010

I am now a sudoer.  It was really not hard at all.

using su root I successfully edited visudo and now I am good to go.

I also successfully learned how to move my /home from the 10GB root
partition I to the old 45GB /home partition I used with Ubuntu.  For
some reason during the install and while running debian I could not use
the partition.  The installer would not let me use it without formatting
and debian would not mount it, said directory did not exist.  I probably
just need to mount it manually or something, but I wanted to clean out
all the old crap anyway so I just loaded a live CD, copied the stuff I
wanted to a flash drive.  Then I rebooted into debian, used my new sudo
powers to run gparted -- formated the partition to ext3.

Then I logged out, tried to use Alt+F1 to get a terminal but no luck, so
I changed sessions to a failsafe terminal.  Using su root  I used

mv /home /home.bak
mkdir /home
mount -t ext3 /dev/hda8 /home
cp -a /home.bak/* /home

edited the fstab with a /dev/hda8      /home            ext3
defaults        0      0

rebooted and yeah I have a 45GB /home...  cheers.

Next I had to do some more work by installing fuse-utils and ntfs-3g and
using fstab again to auto mount my old windows partition.

I do believe that I am coming along.

I like the response time and stability of debian more than ubuntu, but I
do miss having all the apps and repos that ubuntu has.  Like the
chromium-browser is only in sid.

I made the mistake of adding sid to my /etc/apt/sources.list  running a
apt-get update upgrade and broke my system.  had to reinstall.  won't do
that again.  All just to get chromium-browser without having to manually
install dependencies.  Oh well, live and learn.

Overall it has been a great experience.  I will keep on truckin'.

Thanks for all the help.

Joshua