[ale] HP P2035 printer won't on Mandriva 2010.0

Bob Toxen transam at VerySecureLinux.com
Sun Aug 15 18:44:11 EDT 2010

Hey J. D., Jim, and ALE,

THANKS to J. D. and Jim for their helpful advice!

Mandriva did not offer the python-devel rpm but I finally found a
compatible one elsewhere (usual RPM version dependency hell issues).
Then that miserable excuse of an install script from HP wanted cups-devl
(not CUPS!)  Couldn't find one easily.

By this time HP had wasted 6 hours of my life.

I returned the HP junk and got a Brother HL-5340D Laser Printer.  The
MicroCenter Associate showed me how to get the PPD file from Brother's
web site (quite easy).

Brother's instructions were very detailed, even reminding me to chown
and chmod the installed PPD file appropriately and telling how to restart
CUPS, giving the different pathname to find the startup script depending
on Red Hat based, Debian, and SuSE Distros!

It took me 15-20 pain-free minutes to get the Brother printer working!
Brother's web site not only said that it supported Linux but included
Distros includine Mandrake (now Mandriva)!

As an experienced Linux and Unix printer, installation scripts and the
like should be designed for a minimal system.  HP's requiring optional
software, such as python-devel and cups-devel, to install something as
simple as a printer is, IMHO, inexcusable incompetence.  I think that
HP laptops are junk too!  I guess that's part of HP's cutting its R&D
from 8% of revenue to 0.7%.  Another Great of the industry crashes and
burns.

While I wanted to buy my new printer from HP since the old one lasted
since 1993, I note that my Brother FAX machine bought in 1995 still is
going strong.

Bob