[ale] enterprise rhel/centos management

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 11:41:01 EDT 2010

Spacewalk with in-house yum repo. Use your RHN to sync with upstream to your
repo (script time!). Spacewalk will let you manage custom configs on each
system or groups of systems. The ability to do an update following by a
custom config update (that correct the mess caused by the update :-) can't
be underestimated.

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Joey Rutledge <joey at joeyrutledge.com>wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> A co-worker and I are currently in the process of trying to determine the
> best method to manage a handful of RHEL 5 based systems.  We are looking at
> deploying over time at least 100 or more RHEL systems and are trying to
> determine the best method to manage security updates,  package versions,
> entitlements, etc.
>
> So far we have come up with the following
>
> RHN
> Redhat Satellite
> Spacewalk
> in-house yum repository
>
> For those using RHEL/CentOS in a corporate environment, what are you using
> to keep up with the systems?  I'm looking for ideas and opinions around the
> choices above and open to any other means of management that you might be
> using currently.
>

> Thanks,
> Joey Rutledge

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.