[ale] Linux without any of the XUBUNTU, GNOME, KUBUTNU but simple window manager

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Aug 10 21:48:49 EDT 2010

On 08/10/2010 11:56 AM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> I have a weak machine that has on ly 768MB ram in it.  It is a P3 computer.
>
> Can I install Linux with basic X manager like flux box or something ?  How
> do I do that ?
>
> Which Ubuntu should I be installing then ?

You can run regular Ubuntu on this if you like. I just booted up a
laptop with 10.04, after logging in the the GNOME desktop it was using
125MB of RAM. Your choice of desktop environment isn't going to change
that you have a slow processor and a probably a slow hard drive. It will
free up some RAM to use as disk cache. Rebooting Ubuntu and starting
fluxbox instead of GNOME only took 50MB of RAM. I would try both and
decide if it's worth the tradeoff. Any easy way to try both would be to
install regular Ubuntu, then install another window manager like fluxbox
from the software center. At the login screen, after you select your
user there will be an entry at the bottom for sessions. You can choose
there between GNOME and whatever else you installed.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts