[ale] custom LIve CD

jrtroberts jrtroberts at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 13:52:27 EDT 2010

I have recently started working very part time as a PC Repair Tech at US
Gaming Arena in Roswell.  While I was there I saw that they were using a
hodge podge of tools for working on PCs.  My first day I had to fix a
computer with a bad hard drive.  All their cd based tools were not
working, so I used an Ubuntu live cd and with some work fixed the
problem.  I used a tool called ddrescue to do a bit copy of the damaged
drive on to a new one and went from there.

While I was doing this work I thought it would be a great idea to build
a custom live CD for PC repair.  There may already be one available;
however, I would like to learn how to build on myself.  I was thinking
that running one the boxes as the desktop environment and using a super
like weight distro like Puppy linux or something would work.

Long story short,  would anyone be able to help me put this together?
I would like help learning about different PC diagnostic tools and PC
repair tools for Linux.  Most of the computers that are coming in are
Windows based, presumably because most PC and Laptop users who utilize
linux already know how to fix a computer.  So the LIve CD would be very
windows centric in nature if possible, but otherwise focused on General
PC repair.  I also did not know if Linux would be a good tool from
troubleshooting MAC issues.

Thanks everyone,

Joshua.