[ale] Linux Router/Gateway Usage

Bob Toxen transam at VerySecureLinux.com
Tue Aug 10 12:24:58 EDT 2010

I'm about to put my new Slackware 13.1-based Firewall with brand new
hardware online.

Notes:
  1. If Slackware, use at least SW13.1.  For other distros, be up-to-date
  w.r.t. patches.  OTHER THAN RECENT KERNELS, there is a very serious
  kernel security bug (since last July) that allows privilege
  escalation.  One of my clients got hacked ('cause he didn't come to me
  until after getting hacked).  The initial entry was via PHP -- which I
  recommend avoiding.

  2. Slackware sends out significant security patches as fast -- or
  faster -- than the more popular Distros, including RHEL & SuSE, IMO.

  3. Slackware has less junk and this reduces the number of security
  patches needed.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]
Quality spam and virus filters.

them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond where
the shadows lie...and the Eye is everwatching"
-- The Silicon Valley Tarot Henrique Holschuh with ... by Bob