[ale] Fedora 13 DNS weirdness

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Aug 9 20:35:16 EDT 2010

On 08/08/2010 01:00 PM, Joe Knapka wrote:
> Which makes me genuinely wonder: am I just stupid?  Is there some source
> of enlightenment that I'm completely missing?  If an experienced Linux
> user like myself could not find this critical piece of information (nscd
> must be restarted when moving between wifi networks)

I do not think NSCD is running by default in a Fedora install. So it
should be unrelated to the issue.

Also, even if you do have nscd running. you shouldn't have to restart it
when you (or networkmanager) changes /etc/resolv.conf

>From the manpage:

> The daemon will try to watch for changes in configuration files  appro-
>        priate  for each database (e.g.  /etc/passwd for the passwd database or
>        /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf for the hosts database), and flush  the
>        cache  when  these are changed.  However, this will happen only after a
>        short delay (unless the inotify(7) mechanism is available and glibc 2.9
>        or later is available), and this auto-detection does not cover configu-
>        ration files required by non-standard NSS modules, if any are specified
>        in  /etc/nsswitch.conf.   In  that  case, you need to run the following
>        command after changing the configuration file of the database  so  that
>        nscd invalidates its cache:
>
>            $ nscd -i <database>

Fedora 13 certainly has inotify and glibc 2.9 or later.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts