[ale] CUPS print problem

cdcoleman cdcoleman at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 5 20:27:43 EDT 2010

I have an issue with printing from multiple RHEL 4 servers to a CUPS print
server thats not under my control. The issue is jobs are printing out of order.
The cover page from one request will print on top of the document from a
different job.

The documents are printed using the command lpr -P printer doc1 doc2. The print
queue on the server has printing disabled, queuing enabled. The CUPS error_log
on the client shows that doc1 was sent and it is waiting for the job to
complete. Doc2 will not print until doc1 either prints or is deleted. While the
print requests from other clients are spooling on the server. If I use the
command lp -h pserver -d printer doc1 doc2, both docs are sent to the print
server.

The print configuration on the client is very basic. It simply uses the
BrowsePoll command to get a list of printers available.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris Coleman