[ale] Cheap SSL Provider

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Aug 5 19:26:23 EDT 2010

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 16:31:29 -0400
David Tomaschik <david at tuxteam.com> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a cheap SSL cert provider that has good browser
> recognition?  I've been using a self-signed for a while, but I'm
> giving some other people access to resources I host and I'd prefer to
> not have to answer questions regarding certificate validity,
> especially when they might use a shared computer, etc.  I've seen
> http://www.positivessl.com/, but am a little wary, even though they
> claim to be "Comodo" certs.
>
> The kind of certs we use at work are slightly outside my budget as
> this is a strictly personal use site.

I'm trying a $10 per year rapidssl cert I bought through
namecheap.com.  I have seen it recognized by Firefox, Chromium, and my
Android browser.

There's a free provider that I want to try at startcom.org.  I tried to
use one on my personal Zimbra server.  Zimbra uses the cert when
talking between some of its services and Zimbra didn't recognize it.
Zimbra apparently has this problem with a few other certs and I didn't
have time to mess around with it the day I was trying this so I'm back
to a self signed on there.

Is anyone using one of these free startssl certs?

Pat