[ale] Decent low-cost AGP graphics card for a server

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 13:40:26 EDT 2010

All,

I'm rebuilding an old server into a linux fileserver.  (It was windows before.)

I've got it running fine with text, but no X graphics at all yet.

I occasionally like to startx and use a gui even on a server, so I'd
like to get X working.

The MB on this thing is only PCI or AGP.

I tried a couple of AGP graphics adapters I had laying around, and at
least at first blush they weren't supported by the latest openSUSE
release (11.3 from 2 weeks ago).  I assume they were too old, or
simply never supported.

One was an old nvidia card and I even tried downloading and installing
the old 71.86.13 nvidia kernel module.  (In theory they have kept it
compatible with recent kernels, but it didn't work for me.)

Does anyone know of a AGP graphics card I can still buy and that is
supported in a recent kernel (ie. 2.6.34).

Thanks
Greg