[ale] OT: ISP (sick of AT&T, yes, me too)

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Tue Aug 3 16:36:32 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 03:48:57PM -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:

> Sure I can get Comcast business Internet for a few $$ less than my 8M
> down 2M up DSL from Speakeasy, but then I'd have Comcast. Yes it would be
> faster. But it would still be Comcast.

I too was going to fire Comcast. It was over their encrypting of TV, not
internet. I just fired them from TV this morning (going with Dish Network).
But to my absolutely shock, surpise, and horror, I do not have DSL service
in my neightborhood. UVerse (ugg!) is available, but not standalone DSL.

Clear does not syet show service in my area either. Also since I want to do
VOIP, I'm unsure about wireless as a target.

So I guess I'm stuck with Comcast internet, which of the three services
I've had with them, has actually been the most consistent. I has hoping to
get a price break as Comcast is $57/mo and AT&T DSL is running a promotion
for $20/month for their Ultra product trying to steal customers. And the
one prop I would give Comcast is that even for residential, they allocate
what is tantatmount to static IPs. They only change once in a blue moon.
When I had DSL 10 years ago, the IP would change every 2-3 days. Annoying
on a good day.

BAJ

--
Byron A. Jeff