[ale] OT: ISP (sick of AT&T, yes, me too)

Frederick N. Brier fnbrier at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 14:27:49 EDT 2010

Well, I just left AT&T throwing out both my DSL and POTS line and went
with Comcast cable internet.  They seem to have some annoying connection
issues, but they made a good offer for the first year.  I used LPN
(Local Portability Number) to move my home phone number over to VOIP
($3.99/month).

However, before I chose them I was considering using wireless 4G from
either Sprint (the Overdrive product) for $59/month, or Clear (same
network) and they have less expensive deals.  The disadvantage of 4G is
the network latency, which if you are not a gamer (I am not), is not a
deal killer.  It is faster that DSL on both upload and download.  An
advantage is if you are willing to deprive your house of Internet
access, you can pick it up and go somewhere else with 4G service.  If
you had an RV and were travelling in 4G areas, you would have high speed
internet where ever you went.  You can apparently use the Sprint HTC EVO
4G in a similar manner with its tethering functionality.  There are no
bandwidth limitations if you are in a 4G area.  There are if there is
only 3G access.

Fred