[ale] Display list of Amanda archive contents

Frederick N. Brier fnbrier at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 22:39:25 EDT 2010

I posted this question on the ZManda forums, but unfortunately have not
received a response.  Perhaps someone on our forum has used Amanda and
knows what file format Amanda uses.

I installed Amanda on a client and a server, configuring a backup using
the 15 minute tutorial, although I did not setup the encryption yet. The
backup appears to work, but I wanted to make sure the exclusions were
working and the files compressed. I cannot figure out what utility is
used to display the contents of a backup. The backup disk area contains
a directory:

    /Backup/space/vtapes/DailySet1/slots/slot1

The amarchiver command does not seem to work.

Code:

bash-4.1$ amarchiver --list --file 00000.DailySet1-01
amar_read: Invalid archive header

bash-4.1$ amarchiver --list --file 00003.ice.mydomain.com._var_lib_hudson.0
amar_read: Invalid archive header

The 00003.ice.mydomain.com._var_lib_hudson.0 file is backed up using a
dumptype with "user-tar" and "compress client fast". I have also tried
tar with and without compression, gunzip, bzip2, uncompress. None
recognize the format. What format are the backups using? How can I list
the contents? Thank you.

Fred