[ale] slow sending email via localhost

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Fri Apr 30 09:43:12 EDT 2010

On 4/30/2010 6:51 AM, Geoffrey wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas why when I send email via localhost from
> thunderbird, it takes so bloody long for the message to send?
>
> I would think it should go right out.

I've learned to suspect DNS timeouts in this kind of situation.
If you've got the server configured as "localhost" in tbird,
and you don't have an entry for "localhost" in /etc/hosts, or
if /etc/hosts isn't consulted during DNS lookup (due to the
contents of /etc/nsswitch.conf), then the bad behavior you
are seeing could happen, I believe. If you set up the server
addr as 127.0.0.1 you may have better luck.  Or I could just
be totally wrong.

-- JK

--
Forget Jesus: stars died so that you could be here today.
  - physicist Lawrence Krauss