[ale] geezer notice with meeting idea

Raylynn Knight seca900rider at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 00:47:44 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:31 PM, m-aaron-r <aaron at pd.org> wrote:
> I like this idea a LOT, but I'm thinking it needs to be
> more than a 2 hour geek gathering of breathing moth
> ball fumes.
>
> I'd like to propose that we make it an ART exhibit.
>
> "AnTEques:  The Lost Arts of Technological Innovation"
>
> I'm about 90% certain that I could convince my fellow
> volunteers at the all volunteer Eyedrum Art and Music
> Gallery to host this kind of installation for a week or
> three.  It would be an especially easy if sell we focused
> on presenting particularly creative exhibits of working
> gadgetry and components that could be enjoyed by
> patrons interactively.
>
> Anything involving reviving these old toys is going to require
> some investments of time... BUT...  with a little coordinated
> group effort in making selections of best examples and preparing
> a 12 or 18 exhibits,  this plan would allow us to reach a much
> broader audience and make any time we put into it much
> more worthwhile.
>
> If everyone in this group did a little basement archeology,
> I don't doubt that we could fill the MoMA with interesting
> modern relics of Ar-tech-stic gadgetry.  We could probably
> get to about 80% of that goal with just five people: Jim Kinney,
> Charles Shapiro, Brian Pitts, myself and my techno-trash
> recycler friend Tim.
>
> I'm happy to cary this idea forward if interest is expressed
> from others here.

I like this idea.  I have the list of Macs from my earlier reply (that
can all run Linux as well as MacOS).  I also have a couple of vintage
PowerBooks a 190CS and a 520 and a Duo 280c.  I also have tapes to
restore an HP9000/360 back to an early version of HP/UX.  I also have
a couple of SGI Indy that currently work as well as the following
SPARC based systems (SPARCstation 2, SPARC LX, SPARCstation 20).

Ray