[ale] gopher

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Thu Apr 29 22:09:00 EDT 2010

I found and downloaded my first copy of mosaic using gopher.   Good stuff.
-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com> 4/29/2010  08:53 PM >>>
wow,
back in the early 90's I used to bypass the AT&T web block by using gopher ..
now:
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/04/29/2141254/All-of-Gopherspace-Available-For-Download?from=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:
+Slashdot/slashdot+(Slashdot)

An anonymous reader writes
"Cory Doctorow tells us that '[i]n 2007, John Goerzen scraped every gopher
site he could find (gopher was a menu-driven text-only precursor to the Web;
I got my first online gig programming gopher sites). He saved 780,000
documents, totalling 40GB. Today, most of this is offline, so he's making the
entire archive available as a .torrent file; the compressed data is only
15GB. Wanna host the entire history of a medium? Here's your chance!' Get
yourself a piece of pre-Internet history (torrent)."

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800