[ale] Anybody got a socket 754 Athlon 64?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 09:45:42 EDT 2010

I can't take credit for the idea. I saw it earlier while searching for a
"pin straightener" when I got frustrated with the same thing myself. I've
also seen ideas to use the plastic tubes from air cans and even an old zif
socket (or similar) to work only with the bent section.

I fumbled a brand new Opteron (think first gen, first day release - stood on
line at Monarch) and bent a few. About had a stroke until I found a
mechanical pencil (0.5mm I think) with a longish protruding tube. Some
bright lights, a few deep breaths and it took about 5 minutes. slick. I have
a Mac CD ejection device (heavy duty paper clip) zip tied to it now :-)

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Dave Weiner <davew at coyotetechnical.com>wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>
> > Use a mechanical pencil. Just take out the lead, (or push it all the
> > way back up using a pin), and then place it over the bent pin and
> > straighten it.
>
> Thanks Jim, I never thought of that!!!!
>
> Dave

James P. Kinney III