[ale] This is True #828: 25 April

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Tue Apr 27 06:32:27 EDT 2010

On Mon April 26 2010, This is True wrote:
> LAST WEEK I NOTED the demise of the Bonzer Sites feature. I'll post
>    something from time to time (and include any write-ups I do in the
>    archive, which again WILL remain online), but not on any particular
>    schedule anymore. The archive: http://www.BonzerSites.com
>
>    So THIS week, I'm pondering Groxx, my weird news "social bookmarking"
>    site. Despite a new version of the software it runs on, it remains
>    HUGELY popular ...with spammers, who have been posting garbage on it
>    regularly. HOW popular? They post, or attempt to post, around one
>    THOUSAND garbage links per DAY. I'm personally spending at least an
>    hour a day keeping the site clean -- and there are several readers I've
>    granted admin privileges to so THEY can delete any spam they see too!
>    That's a HUGE amount of attention being paid, and I'm about to throw in
>    the towel. Yeah, there are probably better software packages that can
>    run the site, but which one(s)? (It currently runs on Pligg.) And since
>    the site makes no income at all (even when I had ads on it, it brought
>    in literally about $5/month, which is why I didn't bother to put them
>    on again when we upgraded the software), I'm not really prepared to
>    spend much on it. If you're a site admin with a suggestion, I'm all
>    ears. It's at http://Groxx.com

I figured if anyone could help him, this group could:)
anyone have any ideas on how to administer Groxx better ??
if you have no idea what This Is True is, see:
http://www.thisistrue.com
I get the premium edition, for many years now, and I got the free edition for
years before that..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800