[ale] Ubuntu and trapping mouse

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Mon Apr 26 22:35:08 EDT 2010

ALErs -

I tried the 'live' ubuntu-9.04 CD on an older system with a PS2 mouse and
it works fine. I tried -9.10 and the mouse was not found, though a USB
mouse was found. PS2 keyboard works fine. I would like to use the system
on one side of a KVM switch that uses PS2 format, so I would rather stay
with a PS2 mouse.

A quick web search shows lots of folks with variations of this problem,
but no clear solution.

Three questions:

1. Should I be able to set up the PS2 mouse as part of the ubuntu
installation if I decide to drop 9.10 on this system (somehow specify that
mouse during configuration or later - I could use the USB unit for
installation)?

2. Any suggestions on boot options, etc., to use the PS2 mouse with the
live CD? I've tried w/ 'legacy USB support' both enabled and disabled in
the BIOS.

3. Can anyone predict how ubuntu-10.x will behave on this issue, or where
to inquire?

TIA.

  - Mills