[ale] OT: Problem mixing gold and tin contacts

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 17:21:06 EDT 2010

On 04/26/2010 04:52 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> The old tin contacts had lead in them. lead to gold contact was not
> good. The new tin contacts don't have lead. tin to gold contact is OK.
>
> The tin has other problems (whiskering - http://nepp.nasa.gov/WHISKER/ )

So I shouldn't have any problems mixing gold plated berg pins with tin
plated berg pins as long as they are lead-free?

This project which started out as a simple one has become a major issue.
There are so many look-alike berg pins and they are not interchangeable.
I found that Berg Mfg is now part of FCI. The male and female pins i got
at Fry's do not fit into the rectangular female receptacle from Digi-Key
that were made by FCI. However the FCI pins will. At a quick glance they
both look the same, but taking a real close look (In my case I had to
put on 2 pairs of +225 reading magnifiers) they are different. So much
for a rose is a rose........