[ale] IPV6 & Linksys router

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Apr 26 16:33:04 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 16:13 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> not familiar with radvd, obviously, since I just started to setup
> IPV6..
> I've got 2 laptops that also connect to my router, and a CentOS
> server. One
> laptop is (SIGH) Vi$ta.. my laptop is dual-boot MS & ubuntu.

radvd is the Routing Advertisement dæmon, which enables stateless
autoconfiguration of IPv6.  All Linux systems (and other IPv6-enabled
UNIX-like systems) will use the advertisements to automagically
configure IPv6 networking, as will Windows Vista and Windows 7, though
both Microsoft systems will do some funky things with the addresses
until you turn off the address randomization.

I don't know if they ever released a functional IPv6 stack for Windows
XP or not.  The last I was aware, you could mostly get stateless
autoconfiguration to work with it, but you couldn't set manual
addresses.  Come to think of it, I don't know if you can set a manual
static IPv6 address on Vista, either.

	--- Mike

--
Even if their crude and anticompetitive business practices don't make
you think about using their software, their use of sweatshops and child