[ale] Hosed WLAN and Boot Partition

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 10:02:00 EDT 2010

On 04/26/2010 08:59 AM, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm not sure that this is the correct forum for this, but I thought I'd
> give it a shot.  I am dual-booted with Windows Vista Home Premium and
> Fedora 12 x86_64. I upgraded my windows partition to Windows 7 and, of
> course, it hijacked the boot partition and made it the primary.  I
> totally forgot it did that kind of stuff. So; Loaded GParted via a CD I
> made a while ago and made my boot partition the primary... or so I thought.
>
> When I rebooted, it said "no operating system could be found".  How do I
> edit my grub or fix my mbr?
>
> On another note, I ran uLoader to "activate" my Windows 7.  After a
> reboot my WLAN isn't working anymore. When I load Windows there's no
> device driver. I even downloaded a couple different versions of the
> driver and it still won't take it. I ended up formatting the partition
> and reinstalling Windows 7 three times and I'm back to Windows Vista and
> STILL, no device driver for my WLAN.  I booted into Fedora on the LiveCD
> (via USB) and the WLAN isn't active in that instance either.
>
> So; my last guess is uLoader loaded a virus or messed with my BIOS in
> some way.  Does that sound like the correct assumption? If so, can a
> simple flashing-of-the-bios (which I've never done before) fix this
> issue or should I just get a PCI WLAN card? Thanks for any clarification.
>
> Here's a rough draft of my partitions.
>
> - sda1 (labeled "data") - 146GB
> - sda2 (labeled "windows") - 47 GB
> - sda3, ext3 of 200MB << this "should" be my boot partition (I'm
> uncertain though)
> - sda4, extended
> - sda5, lvm of 38 GB << this partition is where Fedora lives
>
> So; in GParted I saw that sda2 was active and marked as boot. I then
> made sda3 boot, but no success after rebooting.
>
> --
> Marc Ferguson
>
> Registered Linux User #410978
> www.fergytech.com <http://www.fergytech.com> | www.digitalalias.net
> <http://www.digitalalias.net>
>
> "When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"

Marc,
I believe that you have to reinstall GRUB as that contains software that
partially occupies the MBR. I believe it's the stage1.5 file that gets
installed there. Then to boot Win7 you have to put in menu.lst something
along the line of loader+1. Just Google dual boot M$ & Linux with GRUB
to get the exact setup for menu.lst. Also the Fedora part would be hd0,2
as it's on the 1st drive 3rd partition. Again, searching would give you
the specifics of menu.lst but you will need to reinstall GRUB. Also if
you're running F12 the file you want is grub.conf which is linked to
menu.lst. Hope that helps...