[ale] XFS on Linux - Is it ready for prime time?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 10:43:54 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Doug McNash <dmcnash at charter.net> wrote:

> So, you think we shouldn't be using Raid5, huh. I asked why Raid5 and they
> said they wanted the reliability. XFS was chosen because of its reputation
> for handling large (140M) video files and associated metadata. And yes it is
> NFS.

Not having to calculate the checksum for a write is a small speed boost. But
for R5, the loss of two drives is total loss of data. That checksum
calculation is a major slowdown on recovery. During recovery performance is
order of magnitude slower.

> The big remaining problem is that periodically the system stalls and may
> take a few seconds to send back the write acks. At that point the writer
> assumes the file is not being written and starts tossing data.

That's most likely NFS being slow and cranky.

> Is this stalling the nature of a Raid5?, XFS? and would it be improved by
> different choices?

It _could_ be the bit rate to the filesystem is faster than the filesystem
can handle. You will need to look at the drive configuration,write speeds
and bus speeds and compare to the network IO speeds. A dual Gbit bonded
connection feeding a pci slot sata II with 2 drives will have the slot as
the bottleneck (I think - don't have my speed sheets up).

James P. Kinney III