[ale] Need an iso to wipe hard drives.

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Apr 22 19:54:53 EDT 2010

On 04/22/2010 05:05:50 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 21:16 -0600, JK wrote:
> >
> > I learned that too, on my first day as a Unix (SunOS 4)
> admin in grad
> > school. "sync ; sync ; sync ; shutdown -h now".
>
> Same on SCO.
>
> Why?  Did shutdown not flush all buffers and umount the
> file system?
> Maybe we were just being paranoid?

I had a stray memory strike here - and it could be
completely wrong.

As I remember it, the reason for sync three times was to
ensure sufficient time for the sync to occur before issuing
the shutdown/umount. After all, it takes time even for a
speed typist to type 12 characters. Gives that slow
hardware a chance to catch up!

As usual, YMMV, and I could easily be full of it.