[ale] [Semi-OT] Re: More reasons to adore Microsoft

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 07:54:44 EDT 2010

Actually the story was about the courts applying the punishment to the real
perpetrators, management personal directly, for agregeous crimes committed
by the company for profit motives.
The story was presented as a method of changing bad corporate behavior and
was not intended as a blanket condemnation of corporations. In general,  I
thinks corps are an OK entity.  There are some details of corp existence
like perpetual "life" and the normal insulation of protection surrounding
the decision makers and their actions "on behalf" that provide freedoms not
granted to ordinary people. In effect, corps are super-people in most cases
and I think that _is_ wrong.
There continue to be more cases where a corp saves money by outsourcing to a
sub contractor who further subs and eventually the tail end worker is
screwed. Such a situation is going on at Emory as I saw in the school paper
last night after the ale meeting. Emory contracted with Sodexo for food
services and Sodexo treats their employees like crap. When I worked at Emory
the food service was run by Emory employees.
Outsourcing is only cost effective if the original corp is sloppy on. one
end or the outsource group is crappy cheap on staff. Otherwise outsourcing
something like the food service should cost more due to profits of all the
subs and extra management layers.

On Apr 15, 2010 9:13 PM, "Doug McNash" <dmcnash at charter.net> wrote:

---- tom <tfreeman at intel.digichem.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010, Jim Kinney wrote:
>
> > You...
The point I think he was trying to make is that since some corporation
somewhere (in some anecdotal story we can't verify)  did something bad;
therefore ALL for profit corporations are evil.

--
doug mcnash